Monday, November 12, 2007

I knit, therefore I blog

I have been knitting madly again - this year finishing off projects started in the last two decades and have thoroughly enjoyed it. This has lead me to finding patterns on the web and also made me realise that there is a whole knitting cum blogging world out there. So here I am, joining the knit blog world!! And what a different world it is. Here in South Africa, we tend to knit one or two things for the short winter during the winter and then we forget about knitting. As far as sock knitting goes, I have never met anyone who knits socks! Why knit those ugly, multi-coloured uncomfortable looking things and then post pics of your feet on the web? I spend most of the summer in sandals or bare feet and in winter wear thin, smooth textured, shop bought socks. I wouldn't be seen dead in most of the multi-coloured cabled and lace socks that I have found in blogs. Why cables/patterns and two or three tones. Yeeeuk! Too much decoration! Luckily I live in a warm climate, so never need worry about woollen socks. Another thing I have found amusing on knitting blogs is the terminology. We talk differently here. We use the past tense. "I knit" means I am currently a knitter - its something I do. But, I knitted a jersy last week is the SA terminology. Never "I knit this last week" - what happened to the "ed" suffix? Sweater is another word we don't use much. A sweater is a person who perspires. I wear jerseys, pullovers and cardigans. I'll post some of my completed knitting pics later. Including my own little cotton rabbit - inspired by the "little cotton rabbits" blog.

1 comment:

ilanga said...

tee hee, here's a response from the other end of the spectrum - i knit socks all the time. but now that we are here (i live just south of you in the west rand) we call it my "africa helps europe project" :) for i knit mostly for family.