Friday, November 16, 2007

Beautiful morning - hot day to follow

With my first cup of tea of the day, I sit on the stoep and knit a few rows of K's black cardigan. I was resentful of knitting something black at first, but wanted to do something that she will actually wear and like and she has been wanting an cute black cardi forever. Then I started pattern hunting and found nothing, so I am working this out as I go along. I just wanted to do the whole thing plain with two lace panels up the fronts. And that is what is taking the time - doing the lace. Not that the pattern is difficult, but the man of the house and I sit on the stoep in the evening to stay cool and its difficult knitting a pattern in black in the semi-dark. Never mind. As soon as the front are finished, I'll fly through the sleeeves and get the bitch done! I am actually thinking of doing a black cardi for me soon!

Oh, and the lace is a total mess, but I am not re-knitting it. Thanks to Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting without tears" which arrived in the post yesterday, I feel more relaxed about it. Yay! You don't have to be perfect, or knit perfectly. You just have to enjoy it and that's what I try to do.

I am not sure whether I am disappointed or thrilled with the book. I like her style, but is there really that much technique that she gives you? Her best and favourite cast on method is the only one I have ever used or known and it suits me well. I don't think I will ever knit a cardigan in the round and then cut it. That is scary. I won't even cut the sleeve openings. And I don't hate purl, or even sewing things up. Anyhow I will read it and enjoy her writing style and hopefully learn something from it and use it as a reference in the future.

I can't post photos of the black cardigan on the needles as the camera seems to have gone to Cape Town on a business trip. Well it will be back to night with the man of the house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom